Tuesday 28 June 2016

Things Are Starting to Get Interesting

I don't normally write that much about my daughter but I couldn't stop myself today.  She's 14; so yeah, it's starting to get interesting.  Although I have thus far seemingly won the war on boys (as in thinking of dating them) and I have managed to keep her in tank tops under crop tops (and in a Catholic school they can't change once they get there because it would be inappropriate); today, she sent me a copy of this: "I like this" she wrote.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bella+swimmie&rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA693CA693&hl=en-US&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj87d_R_svNAhUP-mMKHSt-B10Q_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=653#hl=en-US&tbm=isch&q=tipsy+gypsy%2C+bella+swimmie&imgrc=ycetUOEzVITQIM%3A

I wouldn't be the first mum to freak out a little at the thought of her daughter going out in that.  "Not until you're 25!!" I replied.  Just when I thought I enough on my plate, my daughter has to go and discover her sexuality.

Now maybe I sound like a prude (I can be) and maybe I'm over-reacting (doubt it) but the thought of allowing my daughter to wear that makes me physically ill.  I knew this day would come (unlike many fathers I suppose) but I'm not impressed that it's arrived.  Nor am I thrilled that this is the VERY beginning (because that's all it is).

I will take deep breaths.  I will continue to monitor, warden-like, my daughter's wardrobe.  But holy hell, I do believe this snuck up on me.  I remember my cousin (Trace!) came to stay with us when I was about 13 (oh no). She picked me up from school in a black trans am.  She was quite possibly wearing her zippered bikini (the memory is fuzzy but I know she had one and I know I wanted one).  Perhaps because all the boys who saw her pick me up knocked heads in delirium.  Perhaps because how can that not look really cool (to junior high students, and every guy who saw Tracie, in the early 90's)?!

Ugh.  Now I have to do it.  I will admit I lucked out though.  I only have one daughter and she's a first born so every rule and every fear applies to her.  I will make it.  I will make it. I will make it...

No comments:

Post a Comment