Tuesday 14 June 2016

Unemployment: Resumes 2

I grew up with the chronological resume.  I like it.  When I was looking for work back in 2013 I used the e-resume service on ALIS more than once and they kept trying to get me to change to a skill-based resume.  Not only did I not like it, I refused to use it (and I hate to think that's why I was only offered 5 interviews out of more than one hundred applications... That's not a guesstimate by the way).

Having been through the most recent workshop (twice) with my volunteer work, I have finally discovered the benefit of a skill-based resume (actually, there are a few).

#1: Where you worked is not the focus of your resume.

This makes sense if you are applying for work in a completely different industry.  One of my other theories about why my resumes received so little attention in '13 is because my experience was very industry-heavy.  Without it, I hadn't worked in 6 years but I could tell it wasn't doing me any favours. As one interviewer asked "coming from that background, do you think you have the ability to think creatively?" I was highly insulted.  Then I worked for the organization again and I was like, oh, right, that's not exactly a strong point here...

#2: The skills you obtained/used and your accomplishments are the focus.

This resume allows you to highlight skills from any of the experience you use.  One position, still on my resume but just hit a decade old, is at the end of my experience.  Some of the things I did there are really important and if it's the last thing a hiring manager sees, it's definitely not highlighted.  With a skill-based resume, you can highlight the specific skill/accomplishment up high, where it belongs.

#3: WHEN you worked is no longer the focus.

If you have gaps in your resume, a chronological resume highlights this.  Again, the information is still there but it is at the bottom of your resume.  The skills you have are important, not when you started getting them.

#4: Even if you don't use a skill-based resume (it's not right for everyone, in my opinion) write one up.

The reason for this is that I had a fabulous "a-ha" moment when I did mine: Interviews.  If you've been asked the dreaded "behavioural" questions, you know it takes planning to answer them well.  I chose three headings for my skill-based resume; Problem Solving, Marketing and Business Development.  Just to put that into perspective, the three most recent job titles on my resume are, "Stakeholder Engagement Advisor", "Program Advisor" and "Sales Manager" (the latter I also switch out with "Meeting and Event Coordinator" though the former was my official title).

When you have unintelligible titles, it's difficult for people to see the relevance from your previous work to the work they want you to perform.  That's the other reason why you should look to see what else may be a better description.  But back to the interview.  By writing my resume up this way, I found that I instantly had three examples under each heading that I could use to answer a targeted interview question

I'd also like to explain why I don't believe this format is best for everyone.  My ex is a chef and before I ever had any formal knowledge of these things I remember looking at his very lengthy resume and saying, really?  He told me that in his industry it was very important WHERE you had worked.  So if that is the case for you, don't change it up on my account.

Also, if your most recent experience is especially relevant (you currently work for the organization or it's a similar position somewhere else), I think it should be the focus.  Additionally, if your resume shows progressive experience well, I think chronological is better.  Again, just my opinion, do what's right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment